If your a mud and obstacle enthusiast or want to try the best of the best then get ready! The Commando Extreme Mud Race is the REAL DEAL!! and is being held in Frisco event this weekend, Saturday, August 3rd, 2013! Created in early 2012 by a group of elite US Navy SEALs, Commando Extreme is truly the first “Real Deal” Special Operations obstacle course of it’s kind. Their “O” course will test the mettle of every participant that takes on the mission, designed for amateur as well as elite athletes of all adult ages.
What does one do to prep for this type of race? I checked in with Arapahoe Basin‘s Leigh Heirholzer, Director of Marketing, Communications and Sales, who has participated in quite a few of these events. She said to be careful, they are addicting.
Leigh recommended the following tips:
- First, be sure to have sneakers on. Something you can run in. Don’t use those brand new sneaks that you bought yesterday but maybe and older pair. Don’t worry too much, you can pop them in the washer after the race and they will be a-ok.
- Do Not wear Cotton! Be sure you have a nylon running top, something that will dry quickly and not hold moisture. Sleeveless is best
- Socks, choose a light wool sock. Again, no cotton!
- Wear capri length pants, something that covers your knees. This will help protect you since you will be crawling and climbing on them.
- Bring an old pair of sunglasses! They will get muddy so keep those sparkley Ray Ban Aviators at home
- Sunscreen is essential even though the mud will act as a sunscreen later on.
- Fingerless gloves are kinda nice to have to help protect your hands. Home Depot has good ones that you won’t have to worry about trashing.
- Two towels. One to stand on as you take off your nasty sneakers and socks. The other to wipe the grime off.
- Baby wipes are nice to have after the race to get that mud off of your face.
- Bring a change of clothes and a trash bag to put all of your muddy clothes in!
So take inventory, sign up for the Commando EXtreme Mud Race event there are still open spots and grab everything you need and headed out. I think this will be FUN, we will let you know!
~MTN Town Magazine
MtnTownViews.com is MTN Town Magazine‘s daily journal blogging about Colorado’s mountain towns. Like them on Facebook and Follow on Twitter.
Photo Credits: MTN Town Magazine
© 2013, MTN Town Magazine. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post