Basic Hints to Help New Small Businesses – Biz Monday
Folks starting a small business are often challenged by their new tax filing requirements. It can be overwhelming to learn about federal tax responsibilities.
The following is a list of basic tips to avoid potential problems:
- Classify workers properly as employees or independent contractors as determined by law, not the choice of the worker or business owner.
- Deposit federal employment taxes, called trust fund taxes, according to the appropriate schedule.
- Start making estimated quarterly payments to cover your own income tax and Social Security self-employment tax liability.
- Keep good records to protect your personal and financial investment and to make tax filing easier.
- Consider a tax professional to help you with Schedule C.
- File and pay your taxes electronically. It’s fast, easy, and secure.
- Protect financial and tax records to ensure business continuity in the event of a disaster.
Are you starting a new business here in our Colorado Mountain towns? As always, we’re here to help sort out your tax responsibilities.
970.668.0772, 970.668.0434, 888.668.0772
[email protected] – Colorado Tax Coach
To read Larry Stone’s previous post click here
© 2011, Summit Sojourner. All rights reserved. Republication in part or entirety, requires permission of Summit Sojourner, LLC. and Stone CPA.